6/5/09

SIGNS of the Times

As a writer/editor, I am naturally a word person, but I read everything...and I mean everything! Not just books, magazines, web pages, blog posts, e-mails, and old-fashioned letters, but also cereal box ads, use instructions on shampoo bottles, the small print on my bills, and ingredient listings on packages.

So of course if there's a sign in the vicinity, I read it whether I intend to or not. I've seen lots of things I'd rather not have seen (such as "Glove's for Sale," "Up to 50% off and more!" "Share Our Strength's" and other instances of horrific grammar/spelling/punctuation) but I've also come across some fabulous signs.

Now you can share the joy of signs without having to be obsessed with reading them--that's my job.—P.B.

Pleasant St., Northampton, MA (remnant of a very old Nabisco product, long gone from supermarket shelves)










Portland, Maine (apparently even lobstahs love martinis)




Hadley Garden Center, MA (sign above cat-sized opening says "employee entrance")





...more signs to come in future posts

3 comments:

gloria said...

Another sign-lover!!! Thanks for these three. I'll definitely check out the one at the Hadley Garden Center--and if I find a gem, I'll pass it along.

digital_sextant said...

Nice signs! I like to take pics of signs and streetlights, myself.

Anonymous said...

'Shock horror - shampoo bottle instructions not the new novel on middle east politics I had expected!'