9/28/18

September 2018 Album of the Month: Richard Thompson


Richard Thompson, 13 Rivers



I'm going out on a limb with this album of the month pick. I heard some good new music in September, but nothing that blew me away other than a half dozen tracks from Richard Thompson's new record. That's the shakiest part of the limb, actually. Richard Thompson doesn't make bad records, just some that are better than others. Is this one of those? I think so, but I got a promo of the album and have only heard 6 of the album's 13 offerings.

Leave it to Thompson to have 13, a number many consider unlucky. That hardly fazes Thompson, who generally walks on the gloomy side before he offers hope. "Bones of Gilead" is inspired by the Old Testament prophet Micah (7th century BC) who predicted the destruction of Jerusalem and all manner of other woe. Yet he also forecast the rebirth of Judah and the (eventual) birth of Jesus. The arrangement of this song is what you'd get if you crossed some gritty rock, hand jive, and a machine gun. Thompson sings: What's my name? My name is Heartbreak. Does he mean Micah, or himself? Is he offering doom or rebirth?

My favorite track is the astonishing "The Storm Won't Come." Not too many would wish for a storm, but Thompson does:  I'm longing for a storm to blow through town/And blow these old buildings down/Fire to burn what fire may/And rain to wash it all away. Not dark enough for you? Okay, how about: There's a smell of death where I lay my head/So I'll go to the storm instead/I'll seek it out, stand in the rain/Thunder and lightening, and I'll scream my name. Such allusions are often metaphors for Thompson's internal torments. Or at least we think so. The song is as electric as the storm and has an ominous apocalyptic air to it. It gathers like a tempest and fades at the end. Is it the coming calm, or did all wash away?  

"My Rock, My Rope" is similarly ambiguous, albeit with a lighter musical touch. "Her Love Was Meant for Me" is rhythm and blues that strays into echoes of acid rock—a driving rock n' roll song like rock is meant to be. "The Rattle Within" is aptly named. We hear Thompson's woeful vocals unfold in staccato contrast to Michael Jerome's pounding drums and Taras Prodaniuck's bass. These lead Thompson into guitar explorations, with Bobby Eichorn providing rhythm guitar.

Richard Thompson has been known to deny that he's a rock n' roller. He's going to have a harder time making that claim stick after 13 Rivers. One note of caution: This is a self-produced album that was made quickly. Depending upon how clean you need rock to be, the album is either muddy or real. I'm in the second camp.

Rob Weir

No comments: